What is a storage device?The This question may have come in the mind of many at some time, but even after searching a lot, detailed information is not available anywhere in Hindi, due to which many people are in the right mind Data There is no complete information about what is a Storage Device and how many types of it are there.
As its name suggests, these are some such devices (devices) that are used to store data or information digitally.
They are also alternatively known as digital storage, storage media, storage medium or storage device. These are some of the types Hardware There are devices that store data or information digitally and that too Temporally or Permanently. Their main purpose is to store the data.
If we talk about computers, then these data storage are such places that store the data in electromagnetic and optical form so that computer The processor can easily access these data when needed access Can do.
Then let us know without delay that What is a storage device And what are their types.
- 1 What is a storage device
- 1.1 Local Storage Types
- 1.2 Remote Storage Options
- 1.3 Share this:
What is a storage device
Like I already said Storage Devices They are called, which store data and information termporarily or permanently according to the need. They store data digitally.
The storage device used in computers is mainly of two types.
1. Primary Storage Device
2. Secondary Storage Device
Here if I talk about Primary Storage Device in Hindi, then their memory is temporary, or which is also called volatile. With this they have limited memory.
For example RAM.
In the same way if Secondary storage Speaking of Device in Hindi, their memory is permanent. With this, they can store large amounts of data.
For example Hard Drives.
Why Secondary Storage Devices are more used?
Secondary storage devices are more used because:
1. Memory (RAM) of Primary Storage volatile And temporary it occurs. As soon as the computer is turned off, all the data which is in RAM also get erased.
2. Secondary storage devices store very large amounts of data and instructions permanently, where primary memory has a very small capacity to store data.
3. A special feature of secondary storage is that it can be removable, internal, and external storage as well.
Local Storage Types
1. External Hard Drive
This is similar to those hard drives that have been installed in your desktop computer and Laptops. The main difference in them is that you can plug them into the computer, or you can remove them and or you can also keep them separate from the main computer.
It is mainly found in two sizes:
Desktop External Hard drive: Which is about 3.5 inch and which is used in desktop computers.
Portable External Hard drive: Which is about 2.5 inch and which is used in Laptops.
Desktop External Hard Drives are often cheaper as compared to Portable External Hard Drives based on the same storage space. With that Portable External Hard Drives Faster and stronger than that.
Capacity: Their capacities range from 160GB to 3TB (approx 3000GB).
Connection: It connects the computer via USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 connection. With this SATA or eSATA connector is also available.
1. This is a very good option for local backups where there is large amounts of data.
2. This is the cheapest option for storage if we dollars per GB Talk about then. With this it is very reliable if it is done correctly handle When done
1. It is very delicate. It can be very easily damaged if it is dropped somewhere or below the voltage of electricity.
2. Solid State Drive (SSD)
Solid State Drives It is very similar in appearance and working like traditional mechanical / magnetic hard drives. But internally, it is completely different.
There are no moving parts or rotating platers in them. They solely depend on semiconductors and electronics for data storage which makes it more reliable and robust traditional magnetic hard drive Sec
Due to the lack of moving parts here, they use less power than traditional hard drives and work very fast.
As we know that Solid State Drives Prices are getting lower day by day and due to its lower power usage, SSD’s are being used in laptops and mobile devices in large quantities nowadays. With this, External SSD’s are a very good option for data backups.
Capacity: 64GB to 256GB
Connections: USB 2.0 / 3.0 and SATA
1. This very Faster read and write.
2. It is more robust and reliable compared to traditional magnetic hard drives
3. It is highly portable. So it can be easily transported from one place to another.
1. It is more expensive than traditional hard drives.
2. Storage space in it is also very less compared to traditional magnetic hard drives.
3. Network Attached Storage (NAS)
If we NAS Speaking of this, it is simply one or more regular IDE or SATA hard drives Is supplemented by an array storage enclosure and is paired with a network Router or Hub Ethernet port Through this.
Some NAS enclosures have ventilating fans that provide protection against hard drives from overheating.
1. This is a very good option, especially for local backups, for networks and small businesses.
2. Since a lot of hard drives can be plugged in, NAS can store a huge amount of data.
3. this Redundancy (RAID) Implemented with, which increases its reliability, read and write performance. No matter what you RAID level NAS can function even if used on a hard drive RAID Even if I fail.
With this, two hard drives can be setup so that it can double the read and write speed of a single hard drive.
4. Here the drive is connected with the network at all times and is also available with it which makes NAS a good option to implement automated scheduled backups.
1. It is much more expensive than a single External Hard Drives.
2. It is also not portable at all, so that it takes a lot of trouble to get it. So that it is always at risk from fence, fire and theft.
4. USB Thumb Drive or Flash Drive
These are very similar except for Solid State Drives, their size is only the smallest and with this their capacity. There are no moving parts in them, they make them more robust.
They are very portable so that they keychain Can also be fitted in This is most ideal for those who have small amount of data backup It has to be done and it has to be taken here and there.
Capacity: 4GB to 64GB
1. It is a very good portable storage option. It can be placed in a very small space, which makes it more portable.
2. It is much stronger than traditional magnetic hard drives.
This is relatively more expensive per GB, so they are used only to store less data.
5. Optical Drive (CD / DVD)
CD’s and DVD’s are an ideal option songs, movies, media or software To store, which you can use to distribute or give to your friends, because it is very low cost per disk. These can never be a great storage options for backups as they have much shorter lifespan, less storage space and slower read and write speeds.
Capacity CD: 650MB to 900MB
Capacity DVD: 4.7GB to 17.08GB
This is very low cost per disk
1. They are less lifespan than other storage options
2. With this, other storage options like external hard disk And SSDs are not as reliable. Once they are damaged, they are seconded backup can not be done.
Remote Storage Options
6. Cloud Storage
Cloud storage is a storage space that is used in commercial data centers that any computer in which Internet Can be operated from access.
These are usually provided by the service provider. Limited storage space is provided for free, whereas for more space you may have to pay a subscription fee. Examples of such service providers are Amazon S3, Google Drive, Sky Drive, And so on.
This is a very good offsite backup. It is not affected by any external causes such as theft, floods, fire.
1. It is more expensive than traditional external hard drives. Often, you have to subscribe for more space.
2. It requires an Internet connection to access cloud storage.
3. They are much slower than other local backups.
what did you learn today
I sincerely hope that you What is a storage device? And how many types are there? Gave full information about and I hope you guys have understood about Storage Device.
I request all of you readers that you too should share this information in your neighborhood, relatives and friends, so that our awareness will be there and it will benefit everyone. I need your support so that I can convey more new information to you.
It has always been my endeavor that I always help my readers or readers from all sides, if you people have any doubt of any kind, then you can ask me irresponsibly.
I will definitely try to solve those Doubts. What do you think is the Storage Device and how many variants are there? Tell us how you felt by writing a comment so that we too have a chance to learn from your thoughts and improve something.
“My country is changing and moving forward”
Let us also join you in this mission and contribute to change the country.