Hello everyone! Today we’ll discuss a different but important topic regarding the step that TV channels are planning to take which will hamper the success that the OTT platforms are enjoying in the pandemic situation and that is venturing into direct to video market. Yes you heard that right, now TV channels are looking to release new movies directly on their channel by pay per view method. Hence if you want to watch a movie just order the film, select the time, pay for it and then enjoy.
The basic aim behind this is to give the audience a feel of theaters that has been missing since so long. And the plus point is that you’ll be getting it on the safety of your house. Recently Zee announced it’s pay per view model ZeePlex which will have two new movies released at regular intervals where people can order the movie from their cable provider, select the time ( 9,12,3,6 ) a little bit nostalgia has been kept in mind her, pay for the movie and then enjoy it on the time. You might be getting intervals also if they are looking to keep the theatre feel.
Infact ZeePlex is really invested in this idea because they have already taken the rights for the upcoming film Khaali Peeli which will be the first one to get into ZeePlex on October 2nd. And to get a pan India audience they have also struck a deal with Vijay Sethupathi starrer Ka Pae Ranasingam. This video on demand isn’t new for Indian audience as the cable providers like Tata Sky and Airtel has done it long ago ( Remember Showcase) but what’s different here is the times have changed and people are more dedicated towards the new stuff that has been happening. There are several reasons so as to why this might actually succeed such as :-
1. The television channels already has a high range and reach and viewership as compared to OTT.
2. OTT is fairly new despite the popularity. With TV channels have been there for a long time and thus have created this relationship with the audience.
3. OTT has been able to dig into rural India whereas the TV channels are watched in majority of rural areas.
4. This enables the channel to get more reach and they can make more money as it is pay per view and not like OTT where they have to provide services for a month compulsory.
But there also might be some downside to this which can be :-
1. Why people would pay for another type of channel if they already have membership of the OTT platform.
2. Since it is pay per view, the rates are generally going to be high. And one genrally would not pay a full ticket amount every time to watch a movie on their small screens.
3. Indian mind works in different ways as if they are paying the similar amount like a monthly OTT subscription, they would like to enjoy the services for a whole month and not for just few hours.
Well there are advantages and there are disadvantages, but it will be interesting for sure to see how the channels fare against OTT and the competition will be good to see.
We Are Hiring – If you love binge-watching and follow everything related to the various OTT platforms and their
content, here is your chance to turn the passion into a profession. Below positions are open:
1. Content Writer
Get in touch with us at [email protected]
with sample articles.