Are you looking for a VPN that works well in Sao Paulo? A VPN is the best way to prevent wifi networks, employers, and ISPs from tracking you. It is also the best way to unblock content from back home while on vacation.
In this guide, we will show you the best Sao Paulo VPNs so that you can get around website blocks and bypass geo-restrictions to access services like Netflix US, Hulu, as well as TV streams from Portugal or elsewhere. You can also use a VPN to get a Brazillian IP address from back home to access content while traveling.
Below you can take a quick look at the best VPNs for Sao Paulo. For more information, scroll down for mini-reviews designed to help you pick the right VPN for your needs.
Best VPN services for Sao Paulo:
- NordVPN: Our #1 VPN for Sao Paulo. Apps for all platforms that are easy to use and super-reliable. Servers in 59 countries (20 servers in Sao Paulo). Unblocks streaming services like Netflix US and Hulu. Risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: Best budget VPN for Sao Paulo. A surprisingly cheap VPN with servers in Sao Paulo, Brazil, and 62 other countries. No logs VPN with military-grade encryption. Unblocks Telecine Play, Netflix US, iPlayer and other international streams.
- ExpressVPN: A market-leading VPN. Advanced apps for all platforms with a kill-switch, robust encryption, and obfuscation. No logs policy. Fast servers in 94 countries (2 Brazilian locations). Unblock 24 Netflix catalogs. 30-day money-back guarantee.
- CyberGhost: Great for beginners. Plenty of privacy features and cheap subscriptions. Works to unblock Netflix US, Prime Video, Hulu, and Brazilian services using its servers in Sao Paulo. Generous 45-day money-back guarantee.
- IPVanish: A US provider with a no-logs policy and OpenVPN encryption. Perfect for torrenting and streaming on Kodi. Provides unlimited connections.
- PrivateVPN: A great all rounder that is strong on privacy and amazing for unblocking streams.
- Hotspot Shield: Another cheap option for Sao Paulo. Plenty of servers to pick from and superb speeds for streaming.
- 1 Best VPNs for Sao Paulo
- 2 Testing methodology: How we test VPNs for Sao Paulo
- 3 How do I use a VPN for Sao Paulo?
- 4 VPN Sao Paulo FAQ
- 5 Do I need a VPN for privacy in Brazil?
- 6 Is online censorship a problem in Sao Paulo?
- 7 Can I stream Portuguese TV with a VPN in Sao Paulo?
- 8 What else can I do with a VPN in Sao Paulo?
- 9 Can I use a free VPN in Sao Paulo?
- 10 Do I need a VPN for torrenting in Sao Paulo?
WANT TO TRY THE TOP SAO PAULO VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Sao Paulo, with no restrictions for a month. Great if you want to use the internet without being tracked and with the freedom to access content from all over the world.
There are no hidden terms – just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn’t right for you and you’ll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) is an online service designed to provide you with privacy and freedom online. A VPN works by encrypting your data and concealing your IP address from the websites you visit. This prevents services from knowing where you are, which lets you pretend to be in a different country.
When you use a VPN, wifi hotspot providers, ISPs, employers, local network admins, and government snoops are unable to track what you do. This gives you and your family the privacy to use the internet without constant monitoring. It also allows you to bypass website blocks imposed on local networks, or by ISPs on behalf of the government.
A VPN for Sao Paulo is the only way to ensure you aren’t falling victim to mass data retention, which is compulsory for a period of 12 months under Article 13 of the Marco Civil. And US intelligence agencies are said to engage in snooping of Brazilian networks, which increases the need to use a VPN for privacy.
What’s more, all our recommendations have servers in Brazil—so that you can use Brazilian streaming services like Telecine Play, GloboPlay, RecordTV, and SBT while traveling outside of the country.
Best VPNs for Sao Paulo
Our experts used the criteria below to pick the perfect VPNs for Sao Paulo. Scroll down for more details about how we picked our recommendations.
- Servers in Brazil
- Apps for all major operating systems
- Fast Tier 1 servers suitable for streaming
- A no-logs policy and reliable encryption
- Servers optimized for torrenting
- Outstanding customer service with 24/7 live chat
- Value for money
NordVPN is a market-leading service that provides fast connection speeds suitable for streaming, gaming, and torrenting. It is based in Panama, which is great for privacy, and it has a no-logs policy that guarantees what you do online always stays private.
Using NordVPN protects your data with military-grade OpenVPN encryption. This prevents local network administrators, ISPs, and government agencies from snooping on your traffic, which leaves you free to use the internet as you wish. This removes any concerns resulting from Brazil’s mandatory data retention directives.
NordVPN is perfect for unblocking international services like Netflix and Hulu, and it has 20 servers in Brazil so that you can use local services without being tracked (or while on vacation). Nord lets you use six simultaneous instances of the VPN, which is enough devices for most power users.
You can torrent securely with NordVPN thanks to its kill-switch, and the VPN provides obfuscation, Tor over VPN, and double-hop connections. It also has 24/7 live chat support. A reliable service that is very cheap when you commit for a longer period. You can test it risk-free thanks to its 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Fast for gaming, streaming and torrenting
- Apps for all platforms
- Outstanding value
- Works with Netflix US
- No logs and OpenVPN encryption
- Not cheap if you purchase a single month
- Doesn’t provide unlimited simultaneous connections
BEST VPN FOR SAO PAULO:NordVPN is our #1 choice. Provides high levels of privacy. Servers in 59 countries (20 servers in Brazil). Unblock regional content. Use the internet without fear of tracking. Accessmore than a dozen Netflix catalogs. Fast, reliable, and lets you trial the service, risk-free, for 30-days.
Read our full review of NordVPN.
SAVE 72% + 3 months free
Get Deal >
Discount applied automatically
Surfshark is perfect for anybody in Sao Paulo who requires a cheap VPN. We think it is a bargain at just $2.49 per month. Surfshark can be installed on an unlimited number of devices. This makes it a superb choice for larger families and people who own many devices.
Surfshark has reliable, feature-packed apps for all platforms. The VPN provides a kill-switch and split tunneling which makes it great for torrenting. In our experience, the apps are good for beginners. Plus the VPN has a large choice of servers (which gives you plenty of options should a server become congested).
This VPN easily unblocks restricted Brazilian websites overseas. You can get a Brazilian IP address to prevent ISP data retention while using local services. And Surfshark works well with Netflix US and many other international services—including Portuguese TV. iPlayer, Hulu, and Prime Video also work and it is fast enough for gaming and video conferencing.
Finally, Surfhsark has a no-logs policy, obfuscation, and reliable OpenVPN encryption. This will protect your data both at home and on public wifi. A great all-rounder that you can try with its 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Unblocks tons of streaming services
- Fast connections
- Low cost
- Unlimited connections with a single sub
- Strong on privacy
- Lacks some features you get with NordVPNs
- Some servers are slower than other
BEST BUDGET OPTION:Surfshark is the best cheap VPN for Sao Paulo. Unblock streams, watch more Netflix, prevent ISP and government tracking, torrent safely, and use public wifi without fear of hackers. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
SAVE 81% on a 2-year plan
Get Deal >
Discount applied automatically
ExpressVPN scores well with consumers on the Google Play Store (4.4 stars). It is a highly trusted VPN based in the British Virgin Islands, a location considered ideal for privacy purposes. The service has apps for all platforms with strong encryption and advanced privacy features. It also has a reliable no-logs policy.
Express has servers in 94 countries (including servers in Brazil). This makes it perfect for preventing ISP data retention and for preventing government surveillance. The VPN also provides robust encryption to prevent tracking and to protect you from evil twin hotspots and hackers.
Performance is always lightning fast and this VPN gives you access to a total of 24 different Netflix catalogs. It also works to unblock Brazilian services (including TV streams) while outside of the country. Or to use a Brazilian IP address without being tracked.
With ExpressVPN you can always get help thanks to its 24/7 live chat, and it has guides and FAQs on its website to set it up on any device—including routers. Express is also suitable for torrenting safely. You can test it using its 30-day money-back guarantee. An excellent all-rounder that is much cheaper if you subscribe with our coupon.
- Apps for Android, iOS, Mac and Windows
- Wide choice of privacy features
- Fast Servers in 94 countries
- Unblocks two dozen Netflix catalogs
- 24/7 live chat support
- Can be expensive
- 5 simultaneous connections only
FAST AND RELIABLE:ExpressVPN is a well-known VPN brand with hundreds of thousands of subscribers. Fast, strong on privacy, and extremely versatile. Express can securely access 24 Netflix catalogs, tons of international services, and provides the privacy you require in Sao Paulo. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN Review.
SPECIAL OFFER: 49% off plus 3 months Free!
Get Deal >
Coupon applied automatically
CyberGhost has apps for all platforms and guides for installing and using it on most popular devices, including routers. The service is based in Romania, and it has a trustworthy no logs policy. It also has a kill-switch and OpenVPN encryption, which is what you need to gain watertight privacy in Sao Paulo.
The VPN has servers in 88 countries, which makes it great at unblocking international services and restricted content. Plus, it is fast enough for unblocking Netflix, gaming, and torrenting. And CyberGhost has 60 servers in Brazil to ensure you never suffer congestion while connected to a Brazilian IP address.
CyberGhost doesn’t have as many advanced features as some of the VPNs recommended above. However, this makes it extremely easy to use, which is why it is a good option for beginners and non-techy users who don’t necessarily need advanced features like port forwarding or obfuscation.
Like our other recommendations, this service has 24/7 live chat support. And we consider it exceptional value for money because of how much content it can successfully unblock. It is good for families and users who own many devices thanks to its 7 simultaneous connection allowance. Test it risk-free for 45 days.
- Perfect for VPN beginners
- Highly competitive prices
- No logs policy and strong encryption
- Unblocks Netflix, Hulu, and Prime
- Based in Romania
- Not as fast as our other recommendations
- No port forwarding
A POPULAR BUDGET VPN:CyberGhost VPN is non-techy and easy to use. Has the features you need to prevent ISP and government tracking in Brazil. Fast speeds and works to unblock Netflix and other international streaming services. Lengthy 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost VPN review.
SAVE 83% and Get 2 Months FREE on the 2 year plan
Get Deal >
Discount applied automatically
IPVanish is a no-logs VPN based in the USA. It is a trusted service that has apps for all platforms that come with a kill-switch, XOR obfuscation, DNS leak protection, and robust OpenVPN encryption. It also controls the majority of its server network, which further improves the service and allows it to provide faster speeds.
Its base in the US may deter some people—because it is home to the NSA, gag orders, and warrants. However, this VPN has a clean track record of providing privacy for hundreds of thousands of users worldwide. We consider it a great option for both accessing foreign content and preventing online tracking and government surveillance.
With IPVanish, you get servers in 75 locations. This includes 13 servers in Sao Paulo, right where you need them. This ensures you can unblock Brazilian services while on vacation, or use a Brazilian IP address while gaining privacy from your ISP to prevent mandatory data retention.
We found the apps to be easy to use, and we love that you can install this VPN on an unlimited number of devices. This is highly generous and increases the value for money you get with a subscription. Finally, it has a 30-day money-back guarantee to trial the service.
- 13 servers in Sao Paulo
- Fast connections and no bandwidth limits
- Allows torrenting
- No logs
- Strong encryption
- Doesn’t reliably unblock Netflix, Hulu
- Based in the US
PERMITS UNLIMITED CONNECTIONS:IPVanish has servers in Brazil, and in 50 other countries. It is easy to use, good for torrenting, and fast enough for streaming. However, it is not as good at unblocking streams as our other recommendations. Test it yourself using its 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full IPVanish review.
SAVE 65% on the annual or two-year plan
Get Deal >
Discount applied automatically
PrivateVPN is a service based in Sweden that has a superb reputation with subscribers. The service might be fairly small, but it provides features that easily outpace many of its rivals.
First, it has a watertight no logs policy to ensure it never stores records about what you do online. Next, it has fully featured apps that come with a kill-switch, obfuscation, and robust AES-256 encryption. It even throws in a HTTPS and a SOCK5 proxy, which is handy if you torrent.
Its apps are available for all popular platforms, so you can gain privacy and security both at home and while on the move. Also, this VPN allows 6 simultaneous connections, which should be enough for most power users!
We love that PrivateVPN has live chat support. However, please note that it is only available for 18 hours per day. Finally, PrivateVPN has servers in 60 countries, including in Sao Paulo. And it works to unblock Netflix, iPlayer, Hulu, and other popular services. An impressive low-cost VPN that you can trial using its 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Unblocks Netflix US, UK, and others
- Faster than many other providers
- Use up to six devices simultaneously
- Lives up to its name to provide watertight privacy
- Easy to use
- Fewer servers in each location than some of its competitiors
AN EXCELLENT ALL ROUNDER:Fast and great for unblocking streams. Servers in 60+ countries including Sao Paulo. Works to unblock Netflix, Disney+, and many others. Prevents tracking at home and on public wifi. Works for torrenting. Fast for streaming in HD. Risk-free 30-day trial.
Read our full review of PrivateVPN.
Save 77% on the two year plan
Get Deal >
Discount applied automatically
Hotspot Shield is a VPN with a solid fan base all around the world. It is super fast and is one of the few services that works to unblock and stream Netflix, iPlayer, Hulu, HBO Max, and other sought-after international services.
Getting a subscription will instantly give you access to servers in over 80 countries, including servers in Brazil to use a local IP address. This ensures that you can unblock Brazilian content or use local services without worrying about mandatory data retention. And Hotspot Shield is a secure no logs VPN, which means it has no records about what you do while connected.
The VPN is lightning fast thanks to its proprietary encryption protocol. This makes it suitable for HD streaming and torrenting. It is also a great option for anybody who needs to make video conferencing calls.
Support is only available to paying customers who get superb 24/7 live chat support. The only real drawback is that Hotspot Shield is fairly expensive. The good news is that you can get a discount using our exclusive coupon; which reduces the cost considerably! Finally, you can test it using its money-back guarantee.
- Servers in 80+ countries (including Brazil)
- Works to unblock Netflix US
- Limited free plan
- Lightning fast
- No logs policy
CHEAP WITH OUR COUPON:Hotspot Shield is much cheaper when you follow our link. It is a fast and versatile VPN with servers in Brazil and around the world. A reliable service for gaining privacy at home and on public wifi. Suitable for unblocking international content, including Netflix. Provides a generous 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Hotspot Shield review.
Hotspot Shield Coupon
Special Deal – save 77% on the 3 year plan
Get Deal >
Discount applied automatically
Testing methodology: How we test VPNs for Sao Paulo
Choosing a VPN can seem like a headache. There are hundreds of VPN brands on the market, and picking can be hard. Not all VPNs have the features you need to gain privacy in Brazil. Many VPNs are slow, don’t unblock streaming services, and have apps that are unreliable or have flaws. Some VPNs even lie about the encryption they provide, and harbor insecurities that make it impossible to recommend them.
We understand these risks, which is why we test VPNs to ensure they work well. Our experts use the criteria below to check that the VPN is suitable for netizens living in Sao Paulo:
- Servers in Brazil. Our recommended VPNs all have servers in Brazil. This ensures that you can still encrypt your traffic when you use local Brazilian services. This is essential to prevent the mandatory data retention undertaken by Brazilian ISPs on behalf of the government.
- Servers worldwide. A wide choice of servers lets you get better speeds and allows you to get an IP address overseas to unblock websites and services that are geo-restricted in Brazil.
- Apps for all devices. Our recommended VPNs have apps for Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS. This allows you to protect your devices both at home and while on public wifi to prevent tracking and protect against hackers.
- Strong OpenVPN encryption. Encryption prevents anyone from accessing your data as it passes from your device to the VPN server. This gives you added security to prevent anybody from intercepting your private information.
- A no-logs policy. What you do when using a VPN should be completely private both now and in the future. This is why we only recommend VPNs with a strong no logs policy designed to keep your online habits a secret forever.
- Optimized for Torrenting. Our recommended VPNs all permit torrenting, to let you download anything you wish with complete privacy.
- Advanced VPN privacy features. Our recommendations provide a kill-switch, DNS leak protection, and a choice of privacy features (check the summaries to find out more).
- Fast speeds for streaming. We look for fast VPNs that work with popular streaming services so that you can use your VPN to get better value for money on Netflix and to get added freedom online.
How do I use a VPN for Sao Paulo?
Using a VPN to gain online freedom and privacy in Sao Paulo is easy. Follow the steps below to begin encrypting your data and to conceal your web habits from the government and other third parties.
Here’s how to set up a VPN for Sao Paulo:
- Pick a VPN provider for Sao Paulo from this list. We particularly recommend NordVPN.
- Click through to the VPN’s website to get a subscription at the lowest possible cost
- Subscribe to the VPN and download the VPN software
- Install the VPN app on your device and log in.
- Choose a server in Brazil or elsewhere and begin using the internet with added privacy. Your server choice doesn’t matter too much for privacy but for unblocking make sure you select a server in the relevant country. For example, a US server will allow you to unblock American Netflix while abroad or a Brazillian server will give you access to Netflix Brasil.
As soon as you connect to a VPN server, your real IP address is concealed and you appear to be in that remote location. This allows you to bypass any local restrictions or to access content that is usually geo-restricted to that region.
VPN Sao Paulo FAQ
Do I need a VPN for privacy in Brazil?
The Brazilian government has passed laws that require all Internet Service Providers to retain internet connection logs for 12 months (Law 12.965/14, also known as the Marco Civil). This allows government agencies to snoop on Brazlian internet users. Worryingly, this mandatory data retention can theoretically be extended indefinitely if the authorities demand it.
This is highly invasive surveillance that seriously affects citizens’ right to privacy, and negatively affects people’s civil rights by preventing them from being able to source information critical of the government without being monitored.
In addition, the government has now passed the controversial “Fake News” bill (PLS 2630/2020) which requires messaging services to enforce mandatory traceability provisions. This increases the potential for surveillance by forcing messaging services to retain information about all communications that are “massively forwarded.”
Surveillance performed by the Brazilian authorities is aggravated by the fact that US intelligence is believed to also be active in the region. Evidence provided by the whistleblower Edward Snowden in 2013 revealed that the NSA actively snoops on Brazilian internet and telecommunications networks for espionage purposes.
A VPN is the only way to encrypt your data as it passes through ISP backbone and NSP gateway servers. Using a VPN ensures that your ISP and government snoops cannot track what you do online; vastly increasing your privacy.
Using a VPN also prevents businesses from tracking your IP address when you visit their websites, and ensures that Wi-Fi administrators (on public Wi-Fi, at work, and elsewhere) cannot monitor everything you do online to gather data about you and potentially to sell it to third parties such as data brokers.
Is online censorship a problem in Sao Paulo?
At the time of writing, we do not consider censorship to be a substantial problem in Brazil. The vast majority of websites – including popular social media sites like Twitter and Facebook – are all freely available. The same is true of video-sharing platforms like YouTube and Vimeo, and communications apps like WhatsApp, Skype, Telegram, Zoom and FaceTime.
That said, Bolsonaro’s government has formerly censored some online content. The authorities have previously taken down blogs critical of the government, and leading human rights organizations consider fake news to be a problem in the country.
Disinformation is often used to cover up the truth regarding corruption. And the threat of legal action is often used to pressure bloggers and news publications into self censoring content critical of the government, particularly during election times.
In 2019, the Open Observatory of Network Interference revealed that a women’s reproductive rights website (Women on Waves) had been censored by Brazilian ISPs after publishing content supportive of women’s abortion rights. The case reveals that ISPs will censor online content when asked to do so by the government.
What’s more, in 2015 and 2016 the Brazilian government ordered temporary blocks on WhatsApp a total of four times. It demanded those blocks due to the platform’s failure to comply with information requests.This underpins the potential for censorship and service blackouts in Brazil.
Anybody concerned over the potential for censorship has a strong reason to invest in a VPN subscription. This ensures that they can always bypass blocks and website restrictions from in Sao Paulo.
Can I stream Portuguese TV with a VPN in Sao Paulo?
99 percent of the population of Brazil speaks Portuguese, which makes accessing Portuguese TV services from Europe an alluring proposition. The good news is that all of the recommendations in this article have fast servers in Portugal. This means that you can easily access TV streams and Portuguese services that are usually geo-restricted.
Below we have included a list of TV stations and Portuguese streaming services that you can access from Sao Paulo with a VPN.
- RTP 1 & 2
- RTP Madeira
- RTP Memoria
- RTV (Regiões TV)
- Media Capital – TVI
- TV Fatima
- TV Porto
A VPN can also let you access SIC’s over-the-top streaming service to stream popular Portuguese TV shows such as A Serra, Terra Brava, Amor Amor, Alma e Coração, Nazaré, and many more. And you can get a subscription with Portuguese streaming platforms such as AXN Now, RTP Play, NOS Play, and Q Play.
What else can I do with a VPN in Sao Paulo?
A VPN can easily allow you to pretend to be in a different country. As a result you can bypass geo-restrictions to access foreign services or to unblock content that is restricted for copyright reasons. Below we have included a list of things you can do with a VPN:
- Stream more content on Netflix.
- Access foreign streaming services like BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Sling TV, etc.
- Watch sports competitions on foreign TV streams.
- Access streams of the Portuguese football league (Primeira Liga/Liga Portugal Bwin).
- Watch geo-restricted YouTube, Vimeo, and DailyMotion videos.
- Access internet banking while overseas.
- Use Brazilian internet services while on vacation.
- Make savings online by purchasing services and products in a different region.
Can I use a free VPN in Sao Paulo?
If you are short on cash, you may be wondering whether you can use a free VPN in Sao Paulo. The good news is that there are some cheap VPNs that we can recommend and there are plenty of services that offer a free trial for a short period. This means you can effectively get a VPN for free during your trip then cancel afterward if you no longer need the service.
When it comes to completely free VPNs we advise you to avoid them. Our research has revealed that most free VPNs use data in unscrupulous ways. Their policies allow the VPN to track what you do online, and they can profit from that data by selling it to third parties.
In addition, studies have revealed that many free VPNs lack strong encryption, suffer from leaks, and even contain spyware. This makes those VPNs highly unsuitable for gaining privacy in Sao Paulo.
The good news is that all the recommended VPNs for Sao Paulo have a money back guarantee, which means that you can test a full, unlimited premium VPN for 30 days or more without actually risking any money.
Do I need a VPN for torrenting in Sao Paulo?
As of July 2021 the Ministry of Justice has begun blocking torrent sites and other sites that provide access to free copyrighted material. The order to block torrenting sites is now being enforced by all four major ISPs in Brazil (Claro, Oi, Tim and Vivo). This means that anybody living in Sao Paulo (or elsewhere in Brazil) will need to use a VPN to access those sites, even if they do so for legal purposes.
All of the VPNs recommended in this guide have servers that are optimized for torrenting. They also have a kill-switch to ensure you can torrent safely without fear of being tracked. This means that you can use the VPNs in this guide to regain access to censored torrent repositories and to download P2P content without fear of being found out.
If you love to torrent and are frustrated with the blocks that have now come into effect in Brazil, you can try the VPNs in this guide by using their money back guarantee.
Comparitech does not condone or encourage any violation of copyright restrictions. Please stick to legal torrents and consider the law, victims, and risks of piracy before downloading copyrighted material without permission.