The Income Tax Department has passed an ordinance on the 31st of March 2020 that every individual should link their PAN with their Aadhaar Card before the 30th of September 2021. But this deadline has been extended to the 31st of March 2022 now. According to this rule, if you don’t link your PAN with Aadhaar before the deadline then your PAN will become inoperative. Once the person links his PAN with the Aadhaar then it will become operative again. So, all the individuals having a bank account, investments in mutual funds, or having insurance policies should link their PAN Card with their Aadhaar card and it can be done online. You can explore various methods that will help you to link your PAN with Aadhaar.
Earlier the deadline for linking the PAN with the Aadhaar Card was the 30th of September 2021 but now the new deadline for doing so is the 31st of March 2022. You are free to choose any methods below for the linking process.
Through E-Filling Portal
- Open the e-filling portal on your PC or Laptop.
- Register yourself at the e-filling portal if you are not an existing member.
- Once you have the ID and Password, you can make a login to the e-filling portal.
- Once you are logged in, open the Profile Settings tab and then click on the Link Aadhaar option.
- Now you will see the details like Name, Date of Birth, and Gender that you have entered at the time of the registration.
- Enter your Aadhaar number and the exact name that is available on your Aadhaar card.
- Verify all the details and then click on the Green Link Aadhaar Button.
- Finally, a pop-up message will appear that will display a message “Aadhaar-PAN linking is completed successfully”.
Without E-Filling Portal
- Open the official website of Income Tax India E-Filling on your PC or Laptop.
- Then open the Quick Links section and click on the Link Aadhaar Option.
- Enter the Following details in the Link Aadhar Section:-
- Aadhaar Number
- Name (Same as on the Aadhaar Card)
- Date of Birth
- Once you fill in the above details, click on the Link Aadhaar button.
- After the verification from UIDAI, your linking will be confirmed.
You can also link your PAN with Aadhaar before the deadline by sending an SMS from your mobile number. Make sure that you send the SMS from your registered mobile number. The SMS has to be sent in the following format to either 567678 or 56161.
UIDPAN<Space><12 Digits Aadhaar Number><Space><10 Digits PAN>
Example- Suppose your 12 digits Aadhaar Number is 1234-5678-1234 and your 10 digits PAN is ABCDE1234F then you will have to send an SMS UIDPAN 123456781234 ABCDE1234F to either 56161 or 567678.
You will have to face the following consequences if you don’t link your PAN Card with the Aadhaar Card:-
- Your PAN will become inoperative and will be deemed as not furnished.
- Your KYC Status will be changed to Non-Complaint.
- You will be charged a high rate of TDS that is 20% on the capital gains arising dividend payments.
- The TDS will be deducted at 20% and the TDS exemptions will be revoked that is granted due to the Submission of Form 15G/H.