Champaran Satyagraha Movement Essay Champaran Satyagraha Movement In Hindi) 19th April 1917.
Many movements were made in our country against the British under the leadership of Gandhiji and one of these movements was named Champaran Satyagraha. Which was associated with the farmers. This movement, which was started on April 19, 1917, has completed one hundred years this year. After all, what was this movement and why was this movement, today we are going to give you information about it.
- 1 What was Champaran Satyagraha, 1917 (champaran movement against indigo planters)
- 1.1 History of Champaran Satyagraha Movement
- 1.2 Champaran Agricultural Committee was formed (Champaran Agragarian Committee)
- 1.3 Other things related to Champaran Satyagraha (Facts about champaran movement)
- 1.4 Share this:
What was Champaran Satyagraha, 1917 (champaran movement against indigo planters)
‘Champaran’ is a district of Bihar state and this movement was started to help the farmers of this district. Due to which this movement was named Champaran. Indigo cultivation was being done forcibly from the farmers of this district. Due to which the farmers of this district were very upset. Because their land was getting spoiled by cultivating indigo. Farmers were being forced to do this cultivation in most part of their farm (3 parts out of 20 parts). Due to which the farmers were not able to cultivate any food item. At the time when all this was happening in this district of Bihar, at the same time the fight to liberate our country had also started.
|name of movement (Movement Name)||Champaran Satyagraha|
|when did it start (Starting Date)||April 19, year 1917|
|how long did it last (Duration)||for about a year|
|Where was this movement done?Location)||Champaran District, Bihar, India|
|What was this movement for?||for the rights of farmers|
|Under whose leadership this movement was done (Leadership)||Mahatma Gandhi|
|Which politicians took part||Brajkishore Prasadhandjob
Anugrah Narayan Sinha,
J B Kripalani and etc.
History of Champaran Satyagraha Movement
People of Champaran met Gandhi
The moneylenders of ‘Champaran’ Raj Kumar Shukla and Sant Raut had met Gandhiji in Lucknow and informed Gandhiji about the atrocities being committed on the farmers of Champaran. But Gandhi did not have time to come to Bihar and he refused to come to Bihar with Raj Kumar Shukla. But Raj Kumar Shukla remained adamant on his insistence and he convinced Gandhiji to come to Bihar.
Gandhiji promised Raj Kumar Shukla that after his visit to Kolkata, he would come directly to Bihar with some of his companions. But even after this promise of Gandhiji, Shukla ji remained with Gandhiji and went to Kolkata with him.
Actually Shukla and Raut also had some land and indigo cultivation was being done on their land too. Due to which they were also very upset and they wanted to bring Gandhiji to their district under any circumstances, so that Gandhiji could find a solution to their problem.
10 April 1917, Gandhi arrived in Champaran (Gandhi Arrived In Champaran, 10 April 1917)
After getting information about the atrocities on the farmers of Champaran, Gandhiji Braj Kishore Prasad, Rajendra Prasadhandjob Narayan Sinha and Ramnathvi Prasad, along with many of his companions, reached this district on 10 April. After reaching here, he met the farmers here and visited many villages of this district. During his visit, Gandhi found that the people of the village were illiterate, due to which they were being exploited by the landlords.
In order to improve the conditions of the villages of this district, Gandhiji along with his lawyer friends started doing various works to improve the living standards of the people here.
got schools built
- The main reason for the people being uneducated here was that there was no school here. That’s why Gandhi ji first got a school built here. This school was built in Barharwa Lakhansen village.
- After getting the school built, Gandhiji worked to instill confidence in the people here. Not only this, Gandhi ji also told the people the importance of cleanliness and got the dirt spread in the villages cleaned.
- Apart from this, Gandhiji did many things to reduce the discrimination against the women of the villages and the people of the small castes.
- After getting the school constructed in Barharwa Lakhansen village, Gandhiji got two more schools constructed in this district. Out of which one school was built in West Champaran on November 30, 1917 and the other school was built in Madhuban on January 17, 1918. Sant Raut had helped Gandhi ji in getting these two schools built.
- At the same time, in these efforts of Gandhi, he was helped by many other well-known leaders and Jawaharlal Nehru Ji had also joined this campaign of Gandhiji.
Case filed against Gandhiji
- When Gandhiji reached this district, the magistrate of this district issued a notice to him. In the notice, the magistrate said that he cannot stay in Champaran district and he should return by the first train.
- But Gandhiji did not obey this order of the magistrate, due to which Gandhiji was called to appear in the court. At the same time, the magistrate wrote another letter to Gandhi ji saying, ‘If you leave this district and promise not to return, then the case registered against you will be withdrawn.’
- Responding to this letter of the magistrate, Gandhi said that ‘I have come here to provide humanity and national service. Champaran is my home and I will work for the suffering people here. I cannot leave this district now.
Gandhiji was arrested
Due to the allegation of creating unrest in this district, the police here took Gandhi into custody. As soon as the farmers here got the news of Gandhi’s arrest, they started protesting outside the court including the police station. After which the court here had to release Gandhiji.
Champaran Agricultural Committee was formed (Champaran Agragarian Committee)
During this time the British Government had realized the power of Gandhiji and the British Government constituted a committee to investigate the grievances of the farmers and Gandhiji was also made a part of this committee.
Within a few months of the formation of this committee Champaran Agriculture Bill was passed. With the help of this bill, a lot of relief was given to the farmers and the arbitrariness of the landlords was curbed. The mention of giving more compensation to farmers and giving control over farming was also mentioned in this bill and in this way Gandhiji helped the farmers here.
- This Satyagraha was Gandhi’s first disobedience movement in India. With this movement, the British came to know about the power of Gandhiji.
- During this movement, for the first time, Sant Raut called Gandhiji by the name of “Bapu”. Since then Gandhiji was called Bapu.
- On the centenary of Champaran Satyagraha Movement, the government has started schemes related to cleanliness in Bihar. Sewerage protection has been started in this state. For this project, the government will give Rs 1,000 crore. Apart from this, many programs have also been organized in this state, which are related to cleanliness.
- Heena Sidhu (Sidhu) Biography
- Biography of Ragla Venkata Rahul
- What is Khalistan Movement
- Story of Jallianwala Bagh Massacre